Pages

1/28/11

Update on my past month of Spain...I mean week

Hola amigos!!!

I am already slacking on my blog, and it has only been a week! I'm not a fan of writing/reading long posts, so I will try to keep this short & sweet. For some reason time is going by SUPER slow in Spain...I think this has something to do with the siesta (basically nap-time from 2-4PM in Sevilla, everything shuts down) I take almost everyday, because every time I wake up I feel like a new day is beginning. Here is a rundown of my past week:

  • I moved into my homestay with my roommate Katie. We live with Mamá Inés, a 75-year-old that looks spectacular. Our house can hold 8 people, but there are only 3 of us. Every meal I've had has been great minus one (lentil soup with no flavor). No complaints here except for the sketch internet!
  • My first day of class was Thursday. As of now I go to school Tuesdays & Thursdays from 9AM-1:20PM--I get home right on time for lunch! My classes are Translation from English-Spanish, Spanish Culture and Civilization, & History of Spanish Art. I'm not officially in the art class, I don't find out until Tuesday, so cross your fingers for me!
  • I'm mastering the art of public transportation! I have to take the Metro to get to classes, and hopefully I can figure out the bus system to Córdoba, Granada, Cadíz, & other small, nearby cities.
  • I crossed the street the other day when the cross-walk guy was green...but then it turned red while I was in the middle of the street. I tried to run across the street but couldn't because some old Spanish lady grabbed onto me...glad I could be someone's human shield.
  • Flamenco watching is my new favorite thing of Spain after stumbling upon a show in T de Trianna. My goal--learn some Flamenco & buy the dress!
  • Clothes are super cheap & fabulous here! I've already bought a skirt & sweater--must.slow.down.
  • Mamá Inés' daughter, Inésita, stayed at the house for a week (she's from Holland). She gave us an extreme makeover her last day in Sevilla! She's a beautician & apparently we were in desperate need of a beauty update....uh?
  • I've been speaking Spanish so much lately that I am mixing up my words/phrases in English. I cannot speak in any language right now!
  • I'm supposed to be working on my honors research project abroad--over gymnastics in Spain--but all the artistic gymnastics facilities are about 20 minutes away ($50 taxi roundtrip). I'm considering switching my topic to the impact Spanish gypsies have on their respective communities, more to come later...
  • I'M GOING TO ITALY.
Those are the big hits of the week. I'm definitely missing the Texas weather, HGTV, & my rollerblades, but all is well in España!

2 comments:

  1. My jealousy of your time abroad has expanded ten-fold and you've only been there a week! Keep up the blog for the benefit of your creepers in America :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO EXCITED THAT YOU ARE COMING TO ITALY!!!!

    I can not wait to see you lovely...

    ReplyDelete