Pages

2/5/11

I have leg muscles!

Much has happened since last week, and I'm sure I'm forgetting many events to document, but here it is!
  • Since my internet at home is super not dependable, I have been going to cafés to mooch off of the free internet, although I do have to buy something from the place in order to stayawhile. Coffee ranges from 1-2, which doesn't sound too bad until you convert it to U.S. dollars--$1.40-2.80. This tiny price is slowly adding up!
  • I got into my History of Spanish Art class! The class had 25 spots, and there were 26 people trying to enter...luckily 1 person finally dropped so everyone else was automatically accepted.
  • My adviser in Spain, Mary Alice Soriero, told me that it would be difficult/dangerous to try to uncover information about gypsies for my honors project...so that means I must once again figure out another topic for my research paper! Right now I'm leaning towards researching how gypsies have affected the development of Flamenco...why not combine my 2 most favorite topics?!
  • I have an internship with DiscoverSevilla, a local travel company! They have programs in Granada & Barcelona, but they are now expanding to other parts of Europe--London, Prague, Milan, etc. I will be creating a flyer for the company that can be used throughout Europe, how cool!
  • Mamá Inés told us that other students will be moving intothe house for 1 weeks stay, randomly throughout the semester. We were told our first new roommate addition would be 3 Norwegian girls...and then 3 Norwegian boys arrived. What a surprise! The guys, Preben, Sindre, & Mats, came for an intensive Spanish class with their high school for the week and were so awesome! I learned a little bit about their culture & some Norwegian wordstoo. They left today & will be missed!
  • I went to Córdoba, España yesterday and had such a great time, although I dealt with my first travel mishap. My bus ticket was for 7:30AM and said that I departed from station 1...so I arrived station 1 at 7:20AM. It was 25 minutes later, when a bus had neither arrived nor departed, did I realize something was wrong! Turns out ALL bus tickets say they depart from station 1, but you have to ask the morning of travel where the bus actually departs. 1 hour 3 later I jumped on the 9AM bus to Córdoba and made my way to La Mezquita, a giant mosque with a church built inside. I have never seen anything more beautiful or magical, and my pictures definitely do not do place justice!
  • I never realized how much I love/miss Texas until the 2 hour rides to/from Córdoba. Driving through the Spanish countryside was so comforting and I felt like I was at home for a little while. Strange, I know!
  • I also visited the Roman ruins of Italica with my university here...which are only 15 minutes away from where I live! Lots of stones everywhere...
  • Travel update, cities I am for sure visiting: Granada, Madrid, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Ronda, & Morocco. I cannot wait!
  • & last but not least....I have leg muscles!!! I have never walked more in my life than I have in Spain. I think that on a normal day I would walk about 1 mile, but I have been exploring on my days off as well--up to 3 hours worth of walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment